In the spirit of the Irish heritage, here are some fun facts for you to enjoy and share!
- Saint Patrick was actually not Irish! This popular saint was born to an political family in Britain sometime around 390 A.D.
- At sixteen years old, Patrick was kidnapped to Ireland and became a slave for the next seven years. It was during his time there that he developed his faith as a young adult.
- Saint Patrick was coerced into escaping slavery by voices that he alone heard. Many believe these voices were actually angels sent from God to help him.
- Ever wondered what the shamrock is all about? History says Saint Patty believed they represented the holy trinity: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- Patrick created an annual event called “feast day” on March 17th from which this Holiday is borne.
- Supposedly this jubilant saint died on feast day 461 AD. I hope it was a great feast!
Happy Saint Patty’s Day!
– OIA Bloggers